FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
1) When are Tryouts?
Tryouts for the Avon Soccer Club 2017-2018 Travel Season will be held at Fisher Meadows Athletic Complex on Thursday, June 8. Please arrive 20 minutes before your scheduled tryout time to register at the Pavilion in the main parking lot.
The tryouts are open to Avon residents only and are age specific based on the CJSA age groupings (January 1 - December 31 calendar year).
2) What do we need for tryouts?
Your child should wear cleats, shin guards under socks, and a solid-colored t-shirt (preferably grey) with NO numbers. Bring a soccer ball and a water bottle.
3) Who will be coaching each team?
Coaches for new teams are not selected until after tryouts. The Coaching Committee will make those selections immediately following the tryout. If you are interested in coaching a team, please submit your soccer resume and copies of any coaching certificates to Art Hennig, 32 Avon Ridge, Avon, CT 06001 or Shawn Peter at
4) How many players will be on each team?
This varies by age group and the needs of each coach. The Head Coach will work closely with ASC to determine the final roster.
5) How is playing time determined?
Playing time is at the discretion of the coach. Unlike the recreational program, there is no guarantee of playing time in the travel program.
6) When are the practices?
There are two practices each week. All practice dates and times will be determined by the coaches. Each coach will communicate prior to the season when practices will be held. Again, the coach will determine which days are best for his/her team.
7) Do we play one or two games each weekend?
In most cases two games are played each weekend. The two games usually consist of one friendly and one league game. (Typically one game is away and one is home).
8) How soon after tryouts will we be notified if our son/daughter has made the team?
You will be notified by e-mail when results are posted to the ASC website.
9) What is the travel fee and what does it include?
Avon Soccer Club 2017-2018 travel fee is $540 and includes the following:
- home and away jersey, shorts and socks
- pre-season training camp in August at Fisher Meadows with professional trainers
- referee fees for home games
- one tournament per season in addition to the Avon Memorial Day Tournament (3 total)
- patches for one tournament per season
- weekly goal keeping training
- weekly training with professionals
10) If my child is not selected to participate in the travel program, will he/she still have the opportunity to play in the recreational program?
Absolutely! You will be able to register for the recreational program online.
11) Should I register my child for the Fall Recreational Program in June if he/she will be attending the travel tryouts?
It is not necessary to register for the recreational program if your child is definitely attending tryouts. Should your child not be selected, he/she will be able to register for the recreational program online.